The Basics of Using Instagram Hashtags for Business
Why are hashtags so important? The reality is they’re the secret sauce to success. Think about it this way: On Google, it is easy to search for what you are looking for. Instagram is different, using hashtags as their search capability. If someone searches for a hashtag you are using, you may show up, allowing people to find more of your content.
How to Use Hashtags on Instagram Feed Posts
Your Instagram feed posts are your best opportunity to appear in search results for various hashtags. But not every hashtag will work the same way. You need to be strategic about which ones you use and how you combine them.
- Using at least 10 hashtags on every post. In general, more is better. Include as many as you can use strategically while staying relevant to your business.
- Combine a variety of hashtags – popular ones, more niche ones, obvious hashtags, even your business name!
- Put your hashtags either in the caption or the first comment. We prefer the caption, but studies have shown both work the same.
How do you know hashtags are working?
Did you show up in search? Did people find your content?
The easiest way to find out is to head to the post, then click the “View Insights” link. Swipe up to see a full screen of information, including the number of impressions that came from your hashtags.
Not every post will perform well in hashtags. Review and look for data trends to help you determine how to improve performance in the future.
How to Use Hashtags on Instagram Stories
If you are an active user on Instagram, then you are likely investing time and effort into creating stories for your business profile. Do you want more people to find that content? Hashtags are here to help.
- You can use the hashtag sticker or type in your own hashtags on your stories – there is no reason to use one over the other, just personal preference.
- If using a hashtag sticker, you can only use one hashtag. If you want more, you will need to type in your hashtags in a text box.
- A little strategy that we recommend testing out: use your own branded hashtag in IG stories. That way, when someone taps on the hashtag they see more of your content.
Now that you know the best tips for using hashtags, you should also know that there are some limitations on how many hashtags you can use:
- In an Instagram feed post and on IGTV, you can use up to 30 hashtags (either in the caption or the content) to have them rank for search. Any hashtags beyond that won’t show up in search.
- For Instagram stories, you can use up to three hashtags. You can use one hashtag sticker or put three in a text box. Get creative – you may hide them or make them obvious.
Get Started Now!
See, hashtags really are a key to success on Instagram. They help you:
- Reach more people
- Grow your audience
- Get more engagement on your content
- Be found by the right people
Use these tips to create a strategic hashtag approach for your business. If you have questions, send us a message, we are happy to help!