You probably hear the phrase “content marketing” or “content is king” pretty regularly.
But what the heck does that mean? What is content marketing exactly, and why is it so important?
If you’re not really sure, don’t worry! This article provides a complete overview of everything you need to know about content marketing.
Content marketing is a form of marketing in which businesses create content with the goal of driving interest and awareness to their brand. What kind of content? Anything, really: videos, blogs, articles, ebooks, how-to guides, images, infographics, etc. Surprise—this article is content marketing too!
Unlike traditional advertising, which relies on interrupting your audience to get noticed, content marketing centers around providing valuable content that your customers actually WANT to see.
Unfortunately, content marketing is not quite as simple as writing a blog post, hitting publish, and moving on to the next thing.
A solid content marketing strategy does the following:
- Attracts search engine spiders and visitors to your website
- Creates awareness with potential buyers
- Results in a sale
Another way to think about content marketing is that it’s like a fancier form of inbound marketing.
Think about it: your goal is to attract potential clients with really amazing content, and then convert them into a customer. You can also use content marketing to speak to existing customers as a way to drive repeat or increased sales.
Some of the benefits of content marketing when used in an integrated marketing strategy include:
- Offers real value to your prospects and current clients
- Educates users, helping to shorten the purchase funnel
- Allows you to connect with your target audience
- Provides significant SEO value
So, how do you start with content marketing?
- Define your target audience: Who purchases your products and services?
- Topic ideation: What are your target audience’s problems? Interests? Hobbies? Write about that!
- Create: Carve out time for content creation. Don’t just wing it!
- Where will this content live: Facebook? Blog? YouTube? Be sure the content you are creating is made for a specific channel.
- Distribute: Email? Social Media? Figure out which channels your target audience is using, and promote your content there.
Still have questions about how to leverage content marketing for your business? No problem! Learn more about the different forms of content marketing.
If you know anything about The Markey Group, you know that we find great pleasure in providing training, solutions, and answers to any questions related to marketing. It should be no surprise that we LOVE content marketing for this very reason, as it’s a great way to do just that for your audience.
Interested in receiving some expert insights? Give us a call for a free 30 minute discussion about the digital marketing opportunities that exist for you!